Sunday, February 7, 2010

Cuttin' their quaffs for kicks

I was a judge at Simga Nu's charity fundraiser for muscular dystrophy called "Skin the Snake" this weekend.

The event was hosted at Chi Omega and it was a contest to see which team of sorority girls could shave the best design into a fraternity guy's head in four minutes.

Hilarity, and a room full of floating hair follicles, ensued.

This is Sigma Nu's president, sporting a quaff reminiscent of Tom Cruise circa 1985 – the good 'ole "Risky Business" days.

Here he is about three minutes later with the "Friar Tuck".

This guy looked like a young Ted Koppel.

(Note: When I related that observation to the judge next to me he looked at me like I was speaking Latin. Ted Koppel could've been Ted Nugent for all he knew.
*sigh* ... I'm old balls.)

Aaaaannnnnddddd here he is, ready to apply for his hunting license, go shopping for new naked lady mudflaps and chew Grizzy-Grizz.

This is Eric, event organizer, student and Kevin Connolly impersonator.

And here's the back of E's head now. (see what I did thar?)

The ladies were going for an anchor because that's a part of Simga Nu's crest but it came out looking more like an upside down "T".

That cut was one of the better ones actually. Head shaving is harder than it looks ...

I had fun though. When Sigma Nu first contacted me about helping judge the competition I was hesitant.

I was unsure the ethical implications of me judging the contest. Previous Evergreen editors have been ethical Chicken Littles, promoting the idea that involvement in the community equals an automatic conflict of interest.

But when I thought about it I realized that me judging this charity event doesn't mean that I'm going to favor Simga Nu in our paper.

It's not like Dick Cheney is flying me to the Alaskan tundra to hunt the most dangerous game, which is Ice-T btw, while trying to get me to write a Op-Ed piece for The New York Times about how getting water boarded is a delightful experience.

So I decided to dispense with the usual newsroom practice of making mountains out of molehills, judge the competition, and have fun.

Which I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment