Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Music Monday: Dirty blues edition

I've really been getting into Otis Taylor lately. He's been going through somewhat of a resurgence because this song ("Ten Million Slaves") was in the movie "Public Enemies" with Johnny Depp recently.

I just love Otis Taylor because to me he is the essence of American music.

His guitar is wild and flowing, strong and seamless like the mighty Mississippi. His voice is weathered and worn and his lyrics are about shit that isn't completely pointless. (Exhibit A – "Poker Face," what is that song even ABOUT?)

Don't get me wrong, I find Lady Gaga facinating and an AMAZING performer, but a musician? ... Ya – no.

All I'm sayin' is that I wouldn't mind if they slipped a little Otis Taylor in among the Lil' Waynes and Taylor Swifts of the world.

Just once in a while? Please?

No comments:

Post a Comment