Monday, August 23, 2010

Music Monday: Best breakup song EVR

Ok, so your feelings about country music aside – John Prine transcends mere genre classification and is lifted up into that echelon reserved for the most pure of poets.

He is in the league of such greats as Dickinson, Whitman or Dylan. The man is a god.

And this song is the best breakup song ever. It's about that thing that's hardest to do after a breakup, something you sometimes can't even do for years – and that's wish your ex happiness.

But it's Prine's touch – the humor, the folksiness and the intelligence of his ultra simple lyrics that touch you and stir the soul.

He is the embodiment of some of the best American traits – wit, simplicity and honesty, as he plays this simple tune that conveys so much complexity.



The reason I chose to post this was because I went out for a bro-bonding drinking/holla-at-the-ladies sesh. with a fellow reporter last weekend and, as is customary – the obligatory breakup song singalong/share time had to go down.

I think HE chose THIS song ... (Haha, j/k Lee)

No comments:

Post a Comment