Saturday, April 7, 2012

Supporting Education With Social Media

As a product of both private and public education, and an alum of a state school (Go Cougs), I feel very strongly about access to a quality education.

So when I was given the opportunity to help out with a new education initiative with the Wenatchee School District I jumped at the chance.

The project is called Wenatchee Learns and I'm providing new media strategy and administration support to the project. It's basically a city-wide focus group aimed at gathering information from current and past Wenatchee learners to help shape
the future of local education.

Here's an amazing video about the project by the very talented North Central Washington director and film maker Charley Voorhis.


Wenatchee Learns from Voortex Productions on Vimeo.

Recently we embarked upon a like drive/scholarship fundraising project, partnering up with the global fruit magnate Stemilt Growers. The folks from Stemilt pledged to donate $1 per like to the Wenatchee Learns Facebook page (up to $1,500).

In about two weeks we've gathered about 700 new likes but we're only halfway from our ultimate goal. So I came up with this poster campaign so people can show their support in a unique and personal way – with a photo.

My hope is that the idea will catch on and become a popular way to show support for local education through social media. If you'd like to be totally awesome and show your support, here's a downloadable PDF version of the poster you can print and share!

Wenatchee Learns iSupport Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment