Thursday, July 30, 2009

O-Guide Bay-beeee!

We just finished The Daily Evergreen 2009 freshman orientation guide on Tuesday. Here's the cover.

It was a pain in the ass to produce, especially since I was the only senior editor in Pullman and I had to learn how perform managing editor duties while we were writing, editing and laying out pages.

To be honest I should have learned how to do M.E. stuff a long time ago but watching over Dan Herman's shoulder as he does something on a computer screen isn't the best way to pick up a new skill.

Overall it was a stressful but fun experience, spending time in the newsroom with G. Mathis (who shall now be called "G. moni" in the newsroom), D. Warn and Nhan (although Nhan was supposed to write a how-to guide for Pullman Transit for the O-guide and never did, tsk tsk.)

The hardest part about the production was editing so many different stories and columns from such a varied group of writers. Some people write 12 inches and call it good, some write 38 before they feel they've gotten the point across.

Also, dealing with the personal aspect of editing is always a challenge. Some people don't care if you take an ax to their writing and some sweat every word you want to change. Ultimately though everything went really smooth and we made what I feel is a pretty damn good orientation guide. pretty damn good.

I felt so satisfied with it yesterday that I went and bought myself a new pair of kicks.

Check 'em out. They're Pumas and they're glorious.

I recorded my speed with the speed gun last night and just as I suspected ... they boosted my top speed by 3.4 mhp.

It was a bitch to get the cop to clock me running down the sidewalk in my new shoes though.

1 comment: