Monday, December 21, 2009

Avatar? More like Blath-atar.

To blather: to talk foolishly at length.

Yep. That about sums it up. Especially the "at length" part.

Don't get me wrong, it was ... long. And long. And blue. Really blue.

That being said, I would go see it again. You may think this strange. Especially because of what I just wrote. But it was visually stunning. Simply stunning. And it looked like a video game. Which I liked.

However the concept was, frankly, wholly unoriginal. This movie is the product of a mental ménage à trois in James Cameron's head involving Halo, World of Warcraft and the plight of the American Indian.

It was a thinly veiled metaphor/critique of the U.S's war in Iraq and how the U.S. government gave American Indians the royal shaft. Which we did.

The Dutch invented slavery, the Spanish committed genocide in South America, the British subjugated most of the world and Uncle Sam pretty much pooped all over the American Indian in every way possible. I get it. Seriously James, I got it.

Hollywood's repackaging of misery is getting droll.

And there was a really weird alien sex scene. Which everyone knew was weird because the audience was palpably uncomfortable. People even turned to each other and I heard not a few "what the hell is this?"'s from the crowd.

But like I said - I would go see it again. It's a bit dumbed down and heavy handed, which shows what the director and producers think of the American public, but comparatively it was much better than anything else that's been coming out lately.

I witnessed "Transformers 2" and "Public Enemies" recently and let me tell you ... not good. Not. Good. At. All. Likenotatall. I used the word "witnessed" there deliberately. They were both abortions of cinema.

On the other hand someone needs to tell directors that a movie doesn't need to be almost three hours. I mean WTF mate? I'm going to a movie, not the 'effin opera.

The New York Times liked it though. So what do I know?

But after all that money and effort Fox has definitely created an entertaining epic movie which I'm sure will make huge profits. So that's nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment