Sunday, January 31, 2010

Manhood personified

This is my grandfather. He is the envy of lesser men.

He is the embodiment of the rugged individualist. He's been a welder, a boxer, a pilot and a team roper. But most importantly he is a father.

He taught me how to be a man. He taught me how fly a plane (not really how to land it but, hey.), how to throw a punch, how to shoot, how to ride a horse and most importantly; how to treat a lady. I sometimes ignore that last one.

Nevertheless, He taught me right from wrong. He taught me that a man doesn't have the luxury of being selfish; he is responsible for others.

He taught me that things like love and commitment are not weaknesses that somehow limit your freedom.

He taught me that getting what you want isn't really important if you don't have family to share it with.

And he taught me all these things by giving me an example to follow. An example of what a good man is supposed to be act like.

My mom would always tell me when I was a kid, "Don't do anything Pop wouldn't do, Nick."

If only I had stuck to that maxim my entire life. I would probably be much less the worse for wear for it. I know my liver would be relieved if I heeded that childhood command more often.

But my mundane vices aside, looking at these photos just made me stop and think about what a good man my grandfather is and how lucky I am to call him Pop.

Thanks Pop, I love you.

2 comments:

  1. I lost all my grandparents way to quickly. Consider yourself lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so sweet and touching, Nick.

    Hell, even I love Pop.

    also, you don't do too bad in the lady department.

    ReplyDelete