Thursday, February 11, 2010

Three more down, 34 to go (I like beer)

If you're a regular reader you know I've embarked upon the quest of of quaffing all the beer Dupus Boomer's has before graduation in May.

They have 44 beers on tap and I'm going to drink a pint of each.

I tried three more last week. The waitress had a thing for Irish beer and was amazed that I drank whatever she brought and didn't make any faces.

My motto is even a bad beer is beer and these were no different. Here's the verdict:

# 17Dogfish 90 Minute IPA: I like IPA's. I don't mind their sharp malty taste even when the brewer goes the extra mile to make the drinker thinks he's choking down sour kraut juice. But this IPA was surprisingly mild. It had a nice amber smoothness that was pleasant.

The 90 Minute seems like a gateway beer. Something designed to lure the meek-palated Heffe' drinker into sipping on something with a little more substance ...

#37Quilter's Irish Death: The waitress set this one down with a smile, daring me to like this beer. But I did – much to her chagrin.

It's definitely a kick in the teeth and had a distinct Guinnessey flavor but I liked that just after than initial Guinness smoothness this beer has a nice rush of blackened flavor. Kinda tasted like licking the bottom of that cast-iron skillet my grandma's been using since 1959 but never washed – in a good way.

#42Kilt Lifter Scottish Style Ale: To wrap up my epicurean tour of the British Isles I tried the Kilt Lifter. At this point it was clear my waitress had dispensed with her change up and slider and was throwing me the heater – seeing if I'd balk.

I didn't and even though this beer tasted a bit like what I imagine my dog's bathwater tastes like I drank it down and enjoyed it.

It's an aptly named brew. But after the first explosion of flavor it had a nice smokey aftertaste.

Stumbling out of the CUB last week, I wondered why a mere three pints got me buzzin'. Turns out all three of these bad boy beers have higher than average alcohol content.

Good thing the only thing I had planned for that afternoon was Call of Duty and a turkey sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment