It's called "Glitter and Doom" and it's going to be out Nov. 24. I found a free download of one track from the album online at Anti Records' Web site. Anti is the label Waits is with now.
The song is a cover of Gomez's "Going out West," another band and song I love. Gomez's version on their live album, "Out West" is really good but I think Waits' growly version has more dimensions.
When sung with Waits' shredded, bloody sounding vocal chords the lyrics, "people say I'm ugly, but I've got a masculine face" and "I look good without a shirt" really pop in a darkly cynical and jaded way that is more subtle than Gomez's version.
Plus, Waits is an artist with principle. That's a rarity these days. Guys like Waits and Springsteen and Van Morrison don't buy into all the corporate bullshit that's wheedled it's way into the business. In fact Waits said it best one day when he was talking about people's work being used to sell things. He said,
"Apparently, the highest compliment our culture grants artists nowadays is to be in an ad — ideally, naked and purring on the hood of a new car," he said. "I have adamantly and repeatedly refused this dubious honor."
I say Bravo. I find it refreshing when artists refuse to whore themselves out to the highest bidder.
If you haven't heard any of his stuff before, I'd recommend the download or "Heartattack and Vine" and "Step Right Up" to begin with.
Waits is the man.
ReplyDelete